Do you speak Business? Being Assertive
How can you improve your Business and English Skills at the same time?
… with Do you Speak Business?, of course!
Today we’ll talk about being assertive.
First of all, what do we mean?
It means looking for win-win solutions to problems, approaching life positively, being able to communicate in a direct and confident way. It’s about being accountable for our actions.
What aspects is assertiveness made of?
- Positive self-confidence and self-esteem;
- clear, open communication;
- speaking in such a way that people take notice;
- showing responsibility for your actions.
How can you show assertiveness?
Before showing assertiveness, you should be working on yourself as a person. Once you have reached a satisfactory level of individual growth, you may show assertiveness through these aspects:
- Body Language: open, friendly, direct eye contact. Gestures and movement are relaxed and steady. Remember to smile.
- Voice: Breath through your diaphragm. It will give your voice greater resonance and a better timbre. Having regular breaks while speaking + stressing the keywords will make your speech easier to listen.
- The words you use: Be brief, don’t overexplain or overapologize. Let people ask questions if they need to.
Are you assertive? How do you work on this quality?
Come back next week for more #Doyouspeakbusiness & shape your language style!
Source: "Being Assertive", Taylor K., Business Spotlight, Ausgabe 5/2015